Below are some system settings and Viewer tweaks that we found improved the performance of Second Life with the Oculus Rift.
- In Windows 7 turn OFF Aero (go to Windows Basic setting in the “Personalize” right-click menu on the desktop).
- In the Windows display settings adjust the refresh rate on the DK2 to 60hz rather than 75hz.
- Make sure your Oculus config runtime and firmware are up to date.
- Make sure the power cable is plugged in to the Rift.
- If using an NVIDIA card update to the latest drivers which have some Oculus/VR specific optimizations.
- Turning on Triple buffering in the NVIDIA control panel may help in some cases. Results may vary.
- To increase framerate try reducing the Second Life Viewer draw distance and/or disable Shadows and the Ambient Occlusion.
- On the HMD setting panel in preferences try experimenting with turning low persistence mode on and off. We’ve found that is some cases it can exacerbate ghosting and jitter.
- If you’re in Mac OS X it is recommended that you exit HMD when uploading files such as images or models. There is currently an issue that can get your viewer stuck in a bad state if you attempt to upload files while HMD Mode is enabled.